Wednesday, July 22, 2009

the little things...

I was having a really hard time falling asleep last night, just like I had the night before. I was starting to get annoyed as I laid there because I knew I needed sleep. It was almost 1 am and I was just starting to get drowsy and drift off when I heard crying from upstairs. Meritt was awake. Up I went. By the time I got upstairs she was hysterical, jumping up and down, and screaming something about "stuck" ... "stuck". I am still not sure what was "stuck", but I promptly got her the heck out of that room before she woke her sister up, and we had a full blown situation on our hands.

So, I brought her downstairs. The plan was to rock her in my chair. There were pillows, books, magazines, and stuff in the chair. Didn't have the energy to remove it, so I laid her in bed next to me, and laid down beside her. She laid really still, and really quiet. I stroked her face and hair. She smelled good. I love that she still has moments of smelling like a baby. I started to get drowsy again... I laid my hand on her chest, and closed my eyes. A few moments later I felt a little hand, soft, and gentle caress my arm. It's these little things that make my life. That little girl stroking my arm, said "I love you Mama". I thought in that moment this is what it's all about.

I woke up a few hours later, Matt and Meritt were gone. He must have had his own moment while I was asleep. By morning I was still so tired, from being up and down so much all night. When I woke up it was LATE (well late for me) it was a little past 9. What? Who let me sleep this late? Matt was already up and out to work. Bella had gotten her self up, put PBS kids on TV, made a nest on the living room floor, and even fed herself breakfast. What a sweet girl. She said, you looked sleepy Mama, I wanted to let you sleep. Be still my heart. How sweet and selfless of her. She even let Emma out to potty. I roamed into the kitchen, and what to my eyes did I see? Matt made me a pot of coffee and it was hot and waiting for me. It's amazing how these little things make you feel so loved isn't it?!! I have the best family in the whole world! The little things mean the most!

No comments: