Monday, June 14, 2010

kid approved...

So, we've been eating totally organically/sustainably/locally for about 6 months now. Through this journey of really committing to this new lifestyle, we've had to try a lot of different brands/foods/kinds of things to figure out what we like, and more importantly what my kids will not only eat, but get excited enough about to give a thumbs up to!

I'm not sure how many of you out there reading this care about any of this... but I thought I would share a few of the things (brands/foods/kinds) that we have found to be kid approved!



These are my kids favorite snacks... They love them. They come in a big variety pack we buy at Costco. 4 different flavors... Meritt loves the coclate (yes coclate, not chocolate) bunnies!




It's hard to keep kids hydrated this time of year, when it gets warm. Especially when we are all on the go so much. My kids are great water drinkers, but sometimes it's fun to have something else. These honest kids juice drinks are great! They are organic and they have about half the sugar as regular kids drinks. Best part: kids love them!



Okay, so this one was our biggest battle in our house. We have been (me the most) long time lovers of the "blue box" Mac and Cheese. You know the kind I'm talking about. My kids actually like this Annie's brand better, and with a little bit of tweaking to the instructions on the box.... I am happy to say there won't be anymore of that other "blue box" Mac and Cheese in our house again!




Those of you out there that are locales will know about Tillamook cheese. Located just west of us on the coast. Tillamook cheese is a long time favorite in our house! Love their cheese, yogurt, and ice cream1 Best of all, it's fun to go to Tillamook and tour the cheese factory where our cheese is made, and while you're there you might as well enjoy an ice cream cone!



So, I have to admit right off the bat, Organic Milk is EXPENSIVE. But, it is so worth it, especially if your kids love milk like mine do! This is the absolute best milk I have ever drinken. (I promise!) In fact it's so good we go through it like it's going out of style at our house!




You were probably raised on some kind of sugary filled peanut butter - like most of us were. (I know I was) This switch took me a little while... although my kids and hubby loved this stuff right off the bat! Few ingredients, low sugar, basically ground up peanuts... I am pretty sure that's what we should have been eating all along! :) Doesn't quite taste like what you are used to, but once you get used to it, it's really good!



Yum, Dave's Killer Bread. So, good... So good for you! Try this if you haven't. Filled to the brim with good for you organic whole grains, the taste and texture are amazing. My kids go through a loaf every few days. Crazy!



Baked goods has been a HARD one. Have you ever looked at the ingredients in most cake/brownie/muffin mixes. They are awful. Tons of stuff that we shouldn't be eating. Lots of man made, genetically engineered, crap. But, let's face it, not many of us have time to bake from scratch all the time... but who can live without any sweets??? Not I, said the fly. My kids love to help bake with these easy mixes. Best part... they only have good ingredients (not claiming they are totally healthy or will make you thin) but they are made with whole ingredients that don't fill you up with stuff that shouldn't be inside of you.


There you have it. Some of the yummy stuff that our pantry and fridge is always filled with. Stuff that I know my kids will not only eat, but be healthier because of. Go try some and let me know what you think!!!

No comments: