Wednesday, August 4, 2010

crying monkey tears...



No, I didn't get the saying wrong... I know it's usually crocodile tears, but this week, it's Monkey tears. Monday, the girls started swim lessons. It was on our list of things to do before the end of summer... and well, since summer is almost over, I decided we best get at it. This is the third summer Bella has taken lessons, she has done awesome. She loves to swim, and I swear would live in the water if we let her, or we had water close by that she could be in 24/7. But, Meritt on the other hand, is having a bit of a melt down, and I'm not really sure what to do about it. She is usually my fearless kid that doesn't hesitate, is never shy, and is almost always eager to try new things. (especially fun things) Well, let's just say it's not the case with the swimming lessons. I'm not sure who I feel worst for, the swim instructor, Meritt, or me.

The first day started fine, but just about the time I assumed it was smooth sailing, I had a wet 3 year old running towards me, filled to the brim with tears. The second day it took some convincing, but things went pretty well. Today, she wouldn't get in the pool, and when she was taken into the pool she was screaming so loud the whole neighborhood could hear her.

I wasn't sure what to do. It was one of those moments you are unsure whether you should go save your kid from her own misery, or want to punish her for acting so terribly.

In the end, I saved my kid, and decided we'd try again tomorrow. All I can hope is that tomorrow will be a better day. I wish I had a magic pill, or a book, or a manual, or a something to tell me how to deal in toddler logic. How do you get past these things? How do you deal with them? How do you get your kids to open themselves up to all of the wonders and possibilities there can be out in this great big world?

If you are lucky enough to know the answer to that question, or if for some stroke of luck you have above mentioned magic pill, manual, or what have you that might help... I would just love it!

No comments: