Monday, August 30, 2010

canning & preserving...




This year one of my summertime goals was to do some preserving and some canning to build a stocked pantry full of good, whole, local fruits and veggies for the rest of the year.

So far here's what I've got done:
7 quarts peaches
8 pints peaches
2 batches of raspberry freezer jam
2 batches of blackberry freezer jam
1 batch of strawberry freezer jam
10 quarts of gravenstein applesauce + bunches of small containers for lunches
1 flat of blueberries frozen
1/2 flat of blackberries frozen


Here's what I still want to do:

more applesauce
more peaches
pears
tomatoes??? - if I ever get any off my 10 plants :\

This whole canning and freezing, and preserving business is new to me, but I have to say it's kind of fun! (I especially like that it gives my mom and I an excuse to spend time together in the kitchen!) I feel like I'm learning something that will be able to benefit my family for a long time to come! I still have a lot to learn, but so far, I like what I've done! What do you like to can and preserve???

Keeper of the Home, put together a great guide to canning and preserving check it out here... if you're like me and your new to all of this, you'll love this guide, it is really helpful!

No comments: