Monday, May 10, 2010

the nitty gritty of it...

So, for the second year in a row my kids were sick on Mother's Day... boo whoo.

Last year I had wide eyed anticipation on how "my day" would go. It turned out nothing as I had anticipated. In fact it was awful. I spent most of the day in an urgent care with a very sick daughter, and an annoyed husband. Both of those things led me to a Mother's Day melt down.

So, this year... I anticipated nothing.
I had no expectations of the day.
And... clearly stated my desires of the day to my husband so there was no... 'can't you read my mind by now' kind of moments.

The other thing was, I didn't really go into it thinking of it as "my day". It was my mom's. I had hoped to spend some her and me time, but she had her heart set on working in her yard. So, I did what I should have done the year before, and put my sick kids to nap, and laid down and read a really great book.

Yes, there were a few moments of absolute melt down from my kids during the day. There were tears, and quarrels, and grumpy moments. But, in the end... I wore my sweats all day, ate Burgerville for lunch, laid in the sunshine, read a great book, had dinner with my mama, and just enjoyed the day. Which, I am pretty sure is what this wild ride of life is all about. Just calming down, expecting nothing, and being grateful for the little things that bring us joy.

Don't get me wrong, and don't let me mislead you with a falsely painted picture. I had my moments, I said to my girls "can't just one day just be about me". But, I think I'm starting to realize something almost 7 years into motherhood... the moment that pregnancy test said positive, nothing was about me anymore, and that's okay!

No comments: