Wednesday, July 30, 2008

fresh dinner idea...

I made a dinner this week that was yummy, different (for us), and really healthful. I don't know if you ever get into a dinner rut but I do, so I thought this little idea I came up with this week deserved to be shared! So here goes... (I really don't follow recipes & I've never written one out myself, but I will give it my best shot!) I love to cook, but with two little people I don't always have lots of time to do the long cooking dishes that are really delicious, so I try and figure out how to make flavorful things that I can make quickly, or even in stages, so I can start and stop if I need to. The other problem I have had lately is getting my littlest lady to eat her veggies. She is done with the baby food, and on to all table food, and had developed a pickiness for textures, and flavors. I can't seem to find many veggies she'll scarf down. So this particular dinner I decided to get tricky and HIDE the veggies... BRILLIANT... if I don't say so myself!


Here's what I made... (I wish I had a picture... they didn't last long enough to take one.)

I made a ground beef filling full of veggies and stuffed it inside pre-made dough lined muffin cups. YUM.

Here's what you'll need:
1 lb ground beef
(any assortment of veggies)
Here's what I used-
1- zucchini (grated)
1- onion (Chopped)
small bag of baby carrots (Chopped)
1- green pepper (Diced)
1- can tomato sauce
handful of mushrooms (Chopped)
fresh spinach (Chopped)
olive oil
a sprinkle of fresh Parmesan cheese
1-2 tubes pre-made dough
(biscuit or crescent roll dough) (We liked the crescent best, I made both.)
no stick spray
salt, pepper, garlic powder, and soul seasoning (if you can find it)
Here's what you do:
(Pre-heat oven to 350 & Drizzle your skillet with olive oil) Brown ground beef in a big skillet (slice and chop veggies while the beef browns), when the ground beef gets about half to three quarters browned drain fat and add veggies, start with the ones that take longer than others onion, carrot, green peppers, then mushroom, zucchini, (try grating it with a cheese grater!) and spinach. Season with spices. When the veggies start getting soft add in one can of tomato sauce and let simmer until it makes a nice sauce. While you're waiting for your sauce to thicken spray muffin cups with no stick spray and line with pre-made dough. Fill lined muffin cups with filling and Parmesan cheese. Finish the muffin cups off with some small slices of pre-made dough in an X across the top of each cup. Put in a 350 oven for 20-30 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
They are really good! Try them if you need something new and different, healthful, and good. My family loved them, (and didn't realize how many veggies they were eating!) I'm sure yours will too! Next time I make these I will make sure to take a picture! Enjoy.

No comments: